Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another new year

First race of the year, first time on snow since last Winter. 28 miles with 6 dogs over some of the most beautiful areas in the U.P. Danya and Fiona, Macc, Attla, Goose and Cruise ran over ice, sand, snow, rocks, roots, up hills, down hills....barefoot and were absolutely wonderful. Tried to keep them slow, but they insisted on moving along at a faster pace. We've trained through the warm months of last Fall... I never got more than 17 miles in any one run, but we had over 300 miles total for training. They finished the race in good shape, which was my main goal.
I love our dogs...they are so reliable and hard working, affectionate and focused. They never complain or judge...good friends and trailmates! Jill and Martha also raced the Tahqamenon trails and Ted was our driver and handler. It was a merry group of mushers to travel with!
Our first race apart from MUSH/MiDD events, so we were the "outsiders/strangers" but everyone seemed nice and many were very helpful. Looking forward to next year and training in the U.P. with the dogs, if we can. Ted is thinking about running a team in the race too, so that's another thing to look forward to!
We worked hard and accomplished my goal of getting there, finishing the race with all 6 dogs, and having a good run. Other than helping another musher with a tangle, (+40 minutes) we had a smooth run considering the trail conditions. It was a good learning experience for the dogs, and me. I drive a dog team like I do a car...like an old lady...but had such a nice time, and enjoyed the scenery . Being on the trail with my dogs, alone and with the Superior winds blowing across the trail, was a mystical experience. Certainly NOT the Iditarod, but I am so proud of my dogs for doing all that I asked of them (EXCEPT slowing down) .
Still no snow...54 degrees today and sunny. Tonight we are supposed to get rain, then snow for the next couple days. We'll see....I doubt there will be enough for this weekends race to go. :(


No comments: